High Bars Vs High Fives

It's not just here, in my weird Bubble of the world, but it seems the weather is acting peculiar everywhere.  Blasting heat one day tumbling to grab- a -sweater chilling, the next.

Here I am, dressed for summer expectations, based on yesterday, with jacket by my side as storm clouds gather out the window.  Grey skies and rain are washing away the brief potential of yesterday's summer.

Seems to apply to the world around me, beyond my coffee cup.  Our previous "high bars" are crumpling under low expectations.  I was momentarily amused by the review of Mr Orange Man's foreign travels.   Beyond being unable to figure out basic life in an EU country (door handles seemed to be a problem...) there were no faux pas beyond what we have come to expect.  A high-five to our current low expectations.  

Now I admit, I was raised by a pair of nitpicking, perfectionists who had no business being parents. They did however, give me one thing. High expectations. For myself and the world around me. If you can't be the best, it still gives you a goal to sprint towards.

It's time, ( ha, you thought I had forgotten that one!) to re-consider our current and future values.  Do we stand by and accept current benchmark standards or refuse to sit down?  Divide and conquer, trite though it may be, still rings with truth.  Every road I tread is patterned with signs of division.  As previously noted,  there are now so many sub-divided minorities of diversity, their voices can no longer heard above the internal bickering.  

Peace has re-defined itself to, just a Piece of the Pie.  Today, our vision of  a global family fades as the dust gathers on the graves of Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Bob Marley and Mikhail Gorbachev, to name a few.  Do we add the grave of our expectations to the list?

I for one, cannot and will not.  I bring my expectations with me, tilting at windmills, my spear tipped with Hope.

As I sit here, feeling a chill creeping in as winter seeks to scrape on the windows again,  I yearn for sunshine.  "Do not go quietly into the night"... I never have, I never will.   If there are clouds, always remember, the sun and stars are right behind them. It is up to us to raise our eyes and see them.

                                    Let us keep our expectations high, our hearts open and seek the sun in the rain... High Five my friends.

Comments