A Different World

 Hello Peeps! 

Lions and Tigers and Bears OH MY!  On the road without my wheels!  Said goodbye to PDX with mixed feelings. Big Blue has a new road partner now. This is one trip we can't share.  Kieran my son, inherited the Big Blue saga. Those two will have their own stories to tell. Time to see how the rest of the world is faring. 

Big Blue & Kieran

 Portland, Oregon has been home longer than any other place. Roots were tentatively dug into the damp, mossy ground. 10 years. A record for this wanderer! Made a promise. Promise kept. Dusting off old dreams. A little bit of tweaking to current times and off we go.-  They can be fecking elusive at times. Hard core chasing required with a certain debit in the sanity column. 

Doing this in a pandemic has pushed my brain cells to explosion. Shipping chaos and delayed logistics stretched my nerves and pocket. If not now, then when.. But, finally, the miracle day came. A truck, driver and container arrived. All in the same day. After 4 tries.  Damn. Stupid Stubborn is my middle name. 

Not enough words to express my thanks to my Personal Peeps who helped out and support me even as they scratch their heads at The Plan.  Won't deny the wrench at leaving all of you guys. This pandemic world holds no promises. Each day is a gift. Each moment together precious.

Y'all know my door, has a permanent "welcome" matt out for you. And damn it- you had better visit! ( I know where y'all live!) 😎

Loved walking and biking along miles of beautiful paths, chasing rainbows, the fantastic street music, the Saturday Market, coffee shops and, yep the cannabis. Nobody does weed like the City of Roses.  Nobody! It's an experience that popped my brain and eyes to a kinder world. Science combined with a true boutique shopping experience. I will miss my PDX cannabis peeps. Yep. There are some big heartaches attached to major life decisions.  Nights are the hardest. In the quiet darkness, beyond busy distractions comes the Question. Did I do the right thing?..

Portland is/ was village-city. Everyone rubbed along together. People said "good morning" and meant it. Bought an extra coffee for the homeless guy on the corner and stayed for a quick chat. Portlanders liked each other. Things change. Honestly, not missing the mess my little city had become over the last 2 years.  Damn effing shame is what it is. But, Portlanders are resilient. The City of Roses will bloom again. 

In the meantime, the road calls. Out here, looking around and checking in with the world.  Laptop, camera and crazy, high hopes. Call it an adventure or blame my wandering soul.  It's time to check out and check back in with the world. In a pandemic. Again. Silver linings in dark skies. 

First stop. New York. New York! Wow! What a place. Honestly, I avoided the place like the plague for years. Sucked in by the historical reputation it dragged around. Damn. It was worth the side-trip.  Ground my shoes into the cement and loved every New York minute of it. The energy buzzes.

Got a crick in my neck from staring up so much!  New York, sorry to bust your reputation, but - I tried, I REALLY tried to find a rude, obnoxious New Yorker. Like Don Quixote, I stopped people on the street , demanding they tell me where all the Real New Yorkers were. They laughed and offered to buy me a coffee.  I traveled on the subway and didn't get mugged. I crossed Central Park, unaccosted and wandered endless streets with a growing sense of ease and confidence. Either New York has pandemically changed or, it's the best kept secret - New York ain't so bad.

Museums, art, vibrant energies, cutting conversations. This city is so far from "over" or "dead" it's a mischievous toddler.  The ground here seeps resilience and a fighting spirit. Take a wander through Central Park, grab a coffee at the French Cafe.  Broadway lights are lit and our melting pot history slips around every corner.  

New York literally throbs. Street music, food and art.  So much to see and feel. Two weeks was not enough. Damn Omicron parsed my visit to the basics of what the city had to offer. Think I may have to come back again.. Have to trash that New York reputation again.

Next is chase around for a Covid test station that doesn't have a line around two blocks.  There is a plane in my future.The Plan demands going forward.

Dear America, you may be politically fucked, but we, your people love you.  Where ever we wander, our hearts are always with you. In strange lands, we gather together, missing you. You are home. 

Stars and Stripes forever. 



 


Comments