2015 And Still Standing

January 2015, Brave New World indeed. As the world shambles of 2011/12 ebb like the tide from memory I sit with laptop and coffee in a Starbucks. Stop shouting "cliche", am fully aware of it!

But. Yes, indeed, my favorite "but". After all, it is Me. Your intrepid traveller (yes still alive) and persistently positive world observer.  As the US tries to rise from its' knees, Europe is stumbling in the dark.  Germany despite the usual stoic financial plodding is no Atlas and cannot hold up the whole EU alone.  Greece is dancing, as always to a different drum and manages to keep all eyes on the stage.

And little Ole Me. In my Starbuck/Mac cliche is watching the stream of humanity slide by my sidewalk window.  All the shades and stages of humanity.  Connected and, disconnected.  What do I love about this city?  It is still- happy.  Against all odds, all economics and world crashes, everywhere I turn, a smile and conversation.

I chat with the homeless man about his dog and he diverges to the events in France.  He bids me farewell with a wave and compliment.  Walking away is just a transition to the next conversation and adventure.

Look up, buildings dressed with columns, colors and history.  Facades of history saved, rather than destroyed.  Music trickles from a doorway,   a lady in blue playing a violin. Her audience stands in awe.

Is this love?   I am enchanted and my curiosity spiked by every turn and street.   Bridges (yes, my crazy love) abound and entice me with their form and prospect.  

Abandon Starbucks and the day leads to further adventures and discoveries.  The conversation continues and jazz flows through it.

Onward Ho!



Comments