Fog and Blog

After several direct prods from my readers,( who must be bored!)  have found my way back to the Blogging keyboard.  Sometimes, like writing a letter, life simply passes in days and weeks with what we think of as unremarkable events. Thank you, I stand ( or sit) corrected. Noting time, autumn has come and, gone. The very taste of it in the back of my throat, tangy and sharp. The smell of the leaves, crisped by cold and the precise clarity of the sun as it cuts through the cold. Fog riding the fields like the waves of a sea. Time seems to just for a brief moment, hold itself in check, until you wake up one morning and the tree outside the window has shed all it's glory of red and gold.

In my quest to understand the Natives have made the following observations.  Germans love to read.  Seems nearly every passenger on my morning train has book or paper in hand. I am no longer "odd man out".  I find myself discreetly reading titles in German and translating in my head. I.E. my German is improving.  Am slowly breaking my American habit of language familiarity.  Here, one does not address anyone as "Du" but only "Sie" and reaching a first name basis in a few months is a track record.  Very formal your average German.

Munich is a walker's city. If you can survive the kamikaze bikers, that is.  A city that is still physically a town. Forget chasing stops on the SBahn.  Each underground stop equals a few upper delightful and scenic Upper level city blocks.  I recommend walking vs riding Munich.

My dual life is currently keeping my busy. That is my Official Excuse.  My "day" job, peculiar in ways beyond comprehension, and am doing my level best to Not Comprehend ( various shady possibilities come to mind if I think about it too much) and my "night" occupation of legal advocate leaves me with eyes crossed deep into the night. That and the onslaught of a second Teenager in the midst. They were so damn Cute when they were small!

Still looking for the elusive flat. Like seeking lost treasure. And when rumor indicates a possible location, one arrives to find a queue of hopefuls. Here, one must Interview to rent anything. Much more intimidating than a job interview and being a "foreigner" does not put one on the shortlist.  Germans sad to say, still prefer, Real Germans. Us New-Germans don't quite count. Somethings haven't changed.

As the fog drifts past my window, I will sit with my coffee and book in hand and consider the Road already travelled.  US, Canada, Dubai, India, Australia, England and all other ports of call. Sometimes, at night I can almost sense, like an elusive spirit, past places leaving their scent on my soul and an echo of spice laden heat and sun.

I'll take the High Road, you take the Low, and someday, we will meet again in  the Middle.....




Comments